This burrito bowl brings so much joy to my heart. Since I first made it two weeks ago, we have had it multiple times.
Mexican food would be ranked among my most favourite things to eat. I would have a take-out burrito everyday for lunch if I could. I love them. They are delicious. Usually I do not eat or make rice at home. Every few months I might fire some up for the kids, but otherwise we just aren’t huge rice people. Any Mexican-style food I make is in the form of quesadillas for the kids, nachos or the slow cooker taco chicken, which I then use in soup or on a salad.
Things have changed. Last week I mentioned I have loosely been following Kayla Itsines’s food guide, which includes rice. At the grocery store a few weeks ago I picked up a whole-grain variety and so it began, my consumption of rice. I’ve come to the conclusion that I am in fact a “rice person”; using it as a base instead of lettuce has given me a tremendous amount of options.
Enough about rice. This recipe is super easy and healthy. I went from the heart, which means, I threw a little of this and little of that in until I liked the flavour. The second and third time I made it, I paid more attention to what I was doing. However, you can easily personalize this recipe by adding cilantro, changing up the meat, or using quinoa as the base. The options are endless.
I’ve always made this burrito bowl with leftover chicken. The first time from a roasted chicken we had made the night before and the second time with chicken breast seasoned with essence (we make a batch of this and use it often) and grilled. Both were fantastic; I even ate it sans meat and dug it.
- 2 cups cooked wholegrain rice
- 2 cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 28 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2-3/4 cup of salsa (your favourite variety or homemade)
- plain Greek yogurt
- green onion, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 avocado, optional
- Hot sauce, optional
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Cook rice according to directions. I cook mine in chicken stock to add flavour.
- While rice is cooking, add coconut oil to large frying pan over medium heat. Combine peppers and onions and sauté until starting to soften, about 4 minutes. Add cumin, garlic and beans, cook for another minute. Add corn, let cook for a minute or so until thawed. Now add as much salsa as you prefer to the pan and let blend together for a minute. Set pan aside, removing from heat. Squeeze 1 lime wedge over top and mix in.
- When rice is done, add to individual bowls as the base. Spoon sautéed veggies on top, then add sliced chicken and some chunks of avocado, if using. Garnish with a small dollop of Greek yogurt, hot sauce, green onion and a lime wedge. Mix together and enjoy!
The one thing I am adamant about is the lime, you have to squeeze a lime wedge over top. It takes the flavour up a notch.
Make a burrito bowl and have a great weekend.
Read this in case you are using garlic wrong.