This is our most recent recipe included in the spring edition of Being Well magazine.
Leigh and I eat salad often enough that the two of us are constantly looking for ways to turn it into something more adventurous. Our maple-beer arugula salad, was a genuine collaboration between the two of us and a fellow we met at a beer class. Remember when we went to beer class! I miss beer class.
We never would have come up with the idea of putting beer in a salad dressing on our own. It was Abbey from Abbey’s Kitchen who gave us the idea. The fact is, using beer in the dressing adds dimension and requires the use of less oil. The dressing is the cherry on top. The dried figs, crumbled blue cheese, crunchy pistachios and beautiful jeweled pickled onions come together to complete one heck of a salad eating experience. Serve it with grilled chicken or steak and you have a meal.
- SALAD INGREDIENTS:
- 6 cups fresh arugula, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup dried figs, chopped
- 1/4 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- Pickled onions (recipe below)
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (or feta)
- Maple-beer dressing (recipe below)
- Quick Pickled Onions:
- 1 Medium red onion
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar, or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp course salt
- Maple-Beer Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup beer (I like to use a citrusy beer like Shocktop or Kronenbourg
- Blanc, but any beer you enjoy will do)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tsp Maple syrup
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup grapefruit or orange juice (about half a large orange squeezed)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Dash of Balsamic vinegar
- For Pickled Onions:
- Thinly slice red onion - use a mandoline if you have one.
- Throw the sliced onion in a bowl along with the rest of the
- ingredients. Mix well to ensure every slice is coated.
- Let the onions sit for 30 minutes.
- They do get better the longer they sit.
- After an hour or so, pop them in a mason jar and refrigerate. They keep
- for up to two weeks.
- Don't just use them in salads, they are great on fish tacos too.
- For Dressing:
- Combine ingredients in a jar and shake vigorously until well combined.
- To make the salad, combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, drizzle
- with desired amount of dressing, serve and enjoy.
We’ve shared our love for pickled onions before, if you haven’t tried them yet, what are you waiting for? Make a batch, it doesn’t take much effort.
Have a great weekend.